St. Joseph's Church, Rathwire

According to Dean Cogan’s history of the Diocese of Meath this present building occupies the site of an earlier chapel which up to 1821 was “only a thatched edifice”. Fr. John Curran PP, who died in 1837, got a portion of it slated and it was enlarged and elevated by Fr. Eugene O’Rourke PP in 1840. The additional bell tower was added in 1870. The church is known as St. Joseph’s but on the old maps it is titled St. Mary’s. The Assumption of Our Lady holds the central feature of the principal stained glass window behind the altar, with St. Joseph and St. Patrick depicted in the side panels.

© Copyright Killucan Parish